Whats up new blog post! If nick were here right now, I'd knucks him.
I'm the kind of person that has to read everything. Everything, mind you. The labels on shampoo bottles, the descriptions for frosted flakes and lucky charms, the little snippets on the side in magazine articles, etc. Its a slightly ridiculous habit (almost typed 'hobbit'. weird.) of mine. I simply can't not read the description on the signs at the zoo.
I've read the story of how Clif Bars came to be 14 times.
I know exactly how to apply shampoo to one's hair, lather, and rinse.
I've read the basics in the manual of Yoshi's Story for the N64 more times than Yoshi himself.
I buy cd's expecting there to be some little tidbits written on the inside manual, and if there isn't anything (or worse, only lyrics), I'm extraordinarily disappointed.
You get the picture.
I've also come to realize that this nasty little habit (wow, almost wrote hobbit again) of mine cripples the way I think/approach literature. I find I read the first few chapters of most books, and then dismiss them. The very idea of reading a long novel is incredibly intriguing and inviting to me. I love the fact that you get transported into an entirely different world through an entirely different view point, and all the ups and downs that entails. However, I also find that I forego any such adventuring because in my mind its this huge swamp that I have to wade through.
if what I read doesn't satisfy me instantly (or end almost instantly), I'm usually done. So, I'm working on changing that.
Music, movies, and literature also have an enormous impact on the way I think and view life. I watch (or read, like I'm currently doing) Fight Club and I want to give up all my useless crap, eat little to no meals a day, drink loads of water, and do tons of push ups, pull ups, and sit ups until I look and act like Tyler Durden.
I watch any Wes Anderson film and I immediately want to go throughout my life with this cool, collected, slightly arrogant (but thoughtful) attitude surrounded by corduroy jackets, hip aviators, and Bill Murray's dominating some kids in a basketball game.
I read the lyrics to a Sigur Rós song (the translation) and I instantly wish I lived in Iceland, away from the miseries of the bay (say wha?!).
I listen to an Aesop Rock song and I want to go around speaking in riddles and of anomalies.
I listen to Radiohead and I yearn to be some hopeless brit walking around Oxford wearing tight sweaters with stars and moons all over them.
These things dominate my mind, all the time. Is it a good thing? I'm not sure.
Next point. I grew up in an ultra conservative environment, one toting conservative christianity, capitalism is better than 'evil socialist principles', and sarah palin. I'm far on the other end of the spectrum. I find no fault with gay marriage, I think evolution and the bible match up perfectly, I'd rather have Obama over McCain/Palin any day, and I don't believe that Noah, Adam, and Eve ever actually existed (or, at least, as how the bible portrays them).
I find some sort of pride and self-worth in being what I think others see me as a heretical leftist heathen. I'm not either of those things, but I'm generally ok with most of the people I know thinking and labeling me that. I'll happily correct them, but usually they won't happily listen. Even now, I'm writing this with a slightly arrogant attitude (as I'm sure you can tell). I watched The Royal Tenenbaums twice in the past week. Coincidence? I think not.
Well, thats just some of my thoughts as of late. Its summer, I've been fairly bored recently, and so this are the things I tend to think about. Sorry for the incredibly long post, but I've had to make up for the months of absence.
sorry, no pictures or videos or anything in this post. next time.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment